We follow a home inspection checklist that ensures we look at every structure and system in your home in Collingwood and surrounding areas.
If you need to schedule a home inspection, you may be wondering what exactly will be evaluated during the inspector’s visit. At Brick House Home Inspection Services, we provide a thorough report that details all of the critical information about your home in Collingwood, Ontario and surrounding areas. In order to create this report, we follow a home inspection checklist that ensures we look at every structure and system in the home. Here are a few of the major components of a home inspection checklist:
Exterior – We will begin at the front of the house and work our way around allowing us to view the home’s complete structure.
- Front, sides and rear of each structural face
- Exterior wall coverings, flashing and trim
- Sky lights, chimneys and roof penetrations
- Roof drainage (gutters, downspouts and extensions)
- Eves, soffits and fascia
- Vegetation, grading and surface drainage
- Walkways, patios, driveways and landscaping structures
- Attached steps, balconies, decks, porches, patio/covers
- Garage (attached)
Interior – We will begin in the basement and work our way up through the home to the attic.
- Electrical panel (outlets, switches, fixtures)
- Furnace and other heat sources
- Plumbing (hot water heater, supply and waste, fixtures)
- Foundation (if visible)
- Floor structure (if visible) and floors
- Wall structure (if visible) and walls
- Ceiling structure (if visible) and ceilings
- Columns or piers (if visible)
- Windows and doors (representative number)
- Mechanical and natural ventilation (kitchen and bath exhaust)
- Visual inspection of appliances
Attic – We end in the attic.
- Access hatch(es)
- Insulation depth
- Vapour barrier
- Roof structure and materials
We follow up with an on-site visual summary of photos and explanations so there are no surprises when you receive your report.
While this list is fairly basic, it gives a good idea of our home inspection checklist. And, of course, you are encouraged to attend your home inspection and ask questions if you are unsure about the process or findings. Our goal at Brick House Home Inspection Services is to recommend solutions if a defect is recognized, so our clients can make educated purchasing decisions. Contact us today to learn more about home inspections or to schedule an appointment.